20 Nisan 2010 Salı

Hagia Sophia - Ayasofya

Hagia Sophia

(from the Greek: Ἁγία Σοφία, "Holy Wisdom"; Latin: Sancta Sophia or Sancta Sapientia; Turkish: Aya Sofya) is a former Orthodox patriarchal basilica, later a mosque, and now a museum in Istanbul, Turkey. From the date of its dedication in 360 until 1453, it served as the Greek Patriarchal cathedral of Constantinople, except between 1204 and 1261, when it was converted to a Roman Catholic cathedral under the Latin Patriarch of Constantinople of the Western Crusader established Latin Empire. The building was a mosque from 29 May 1453 until 1931, when it was secularized. It was opened as a museum on 1 February 1935.

The Church was dedicated to the Logos, the second person of the Holy Trinity, its dedication feast taking place on 25 December, the anniversary of the incarnation of the Logos in Christ. Although it is sometimes referred to as Sancta Sophia (as though it were named after Saint Sophia), sophia is the phonetic spelling in Latin of the Greek word for wisdom – the full name in Greek being Ναός τῆς Ἁγίας τοῦ Θεοῦ Σοφίας, "Church of the Holy Wisdom of God".

Famous in particular for its massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine architecture and is said to have "changed the history of architecture." It was the largest cathedral in the world for nearly a thousand years, until Seville Cathedral was completed in 1520. The current building was originally constructed as a church between 532 and 537 on the orders of the Byzantine Emperor Justinian and was the third Church of the Holy Wisdom to occupy the site, the previous two having both been destroyed by rioters. It was designed by the Greek scientists Isidore of Miletus, a physicist, and Anthemius of Tralles, a mathematician.

The church contained a large collection of holy relics and featured, among other things, a 49 foot (15 m) silver iconostasis. It was the seat of the Patriarch of Constantinople and the religious focal point of the Eastern Orthodox Church for nearly one thousand years. It is the church in which Cardinal Humbert in 1054 excommunicated Michael I Cerularius – which is commonly considered the start of the Great Schism.

In 1453, Constantinople was conquered by the Ottoman Turks under Sultan Mehmed II, who subsequently ordered the building converted into a mosque. The bells, altar, iconostasis, and sacrificial vessels were removed and many of the mosaics were plastered over. Islamic features – such as the mihrab, minbar, and four minarets – were added while in the possession of the Ottomans. It remained a mosque until 1931 when it was closed to the public for four years. It was re-opened in 1935 as a museum by the Republic of Turkey.


Source Wikipedia

Ayasofya

Bizans İmparatoru I. Jüstinyen tarafından M.S. 532 - 537 yılları arasında İstanbul'un tarihi yarımadasındaki eski şehir merkezine inşa ettirilmiş bazilika planlı bir patrik katedrali olup, 1453 yılında İstanbul'un Türkler tarafından alınmasıyla Fatih Sultan Mehmet tarafından camiye dönüştürülmüştür ve günümüzde müze olarak hizmet vermektedir. Ayasofya, mimari bakımdan, bazilika planı ile merkezî planı birleştiren, kubbeli bazilika tipinde bir yapı olup kubbe geçişi ve taşıyıcı sistem özellikleriyle mimarlık tarihinde önemli bir dönüm noktası olarak ele alınır.

Binanın adındaki “sofya” sözcüğü herhangi bir kimsenin adı olmayıp, eski Yunanca’da “bilgelik” anlamındaki sophos sözcüğünden gelir. Dolayısıyla “aya sofya” adı “kutsal bilgelik” ya da "ilahî bilgelik” anlamına gelmekte olup, Ortodoksluk mezhepinde Tanrı'nın üç niteliğinden biri sayılır. 6. yüzyılın ünlü mimarlarından Milet'li İsidoros ve Tralles'li Anthemius'un yönettiği Ayasofya’nın inşaatinde yaklaşık 10.000 işçinin çalıştığı ve Jüstinyen'in bu iş için büyük bir servet harcadığı belirtilir. Bu çok eski binanın bir özelliği yapımında kullanılan bazı sütun, kapı ve taşların binadan daha eski yapı ve tapınaklardan getirilmiş olmasıdır. Bizans döneminde Konstantinopolis Patriği'nin patrik kilisesi ve Doğu Ortodoks Kilisesi’nin merkezi olmuş bulunan Ayasofya, doğal olarak vaktiyle büyük bir “kutsal emanetler” koleksiyonunu içermekteydi.

1453’de kilise camiye dönüştürüldükten sonra Osmanlı sultanı Fatih Sultan Mehmet’in gösterdiği büyük hoşgorüyle mozayiklerinden insan figürleri içerenler tahrip edilmemiş (içermeyenler ise olduğu gibi bırakılmıştır), yalnızca ince bir sıvayla kaplanmış ve yüzyıllarca sıva altında kalan mozayikler bu sayede doğal ve yapay tahribattan kurtulabilmiştir. Cami müzeye dönüştürülürken sıvaların bir kısmı çıkarılmış ve mozayikler yine gün ışığına çıkarılmıştır. Kısaca günümüzde tüm dünya insanları bu mozayikleri görmelerini bir kişiye borçludur: O da, sanatı seven ve diğer dinlere saygı gösteren Osmanlı sultanı Fatih Sultan Mehmet'tir. Günümüzde görülen Ayasofya binası aslında aynı yere üçüncü kez inşa edilen kilise olduğundan Üçüncü Ayasofya olarak da bilinir. İlk iki kilise isyanlar sırasında yıkılmıştır. Döneminin en geniş kubbesi olan Ayasofya’nın merkezî kubbesi, Bizans döneminde birçok kez çökmüş, Mimar Sinan’ın binaya istinat duvarlarını eklemesinden itibaren hiç çökmemiştir.


Kaynak Wikipedia